The Kennedy Music Program has been a cornerstone of our school’s renowned arts program for many years. Run by musician and teacher Endre Balogh, our program seeks to instill a love for music in each student and creates lifelong musicians.
Mr. Balogh brings a sense of humor and enthusiasm to each class, patiently explaining concepts and techniques. He received his first Bachelor’s degree in Music Performance in Hungary. After relocating to California, he continued his education with a Bachelor’s degree at San Francisco State University, a Master’s degree in Music Education at San Jose State University, and a Master’s degree in science (eLearning) at Cal State University East Bay. He has been teaching at Kennedy Middle School since 2020.
Most students entering the Kennedy music program have never experienced the joy of music in a community setting like a Band or Orchestra. Students begin by learning the basics of playing the instrument of their choice in either Band or Orchestra and can progress through the intermediate and advanced programs.
Kennedy musicians have multiple opportunities to perform throughout the year in live concerts and competitions:
- All music students perform in the required Winter and Spring concerts each year. This is a great time to show their hard work to family, friends, and classmates.
- Beginner students demonstrate their talent at the district-wide music performance.
- Intermediate and Advanced students perform at the “Music in the Park” festival in Milpitas and are then rewarded with a day of fun at the nearby Great America amusement park.
- The Advanced classes will also participate in the California Music Educators’ Association (CMEA) music competition for a chance to show off their skills!
- Advanced class members may also audition to join the Jazz Band, where students will travel to Los Angeles and compete at Universal Studios!
- New in 2024, all Advanced music students will join the Sequoia Union High School – Redwood District for a collaborated music performance.
- And many more!
In addition to learning the technical skills required of future musicians, our students also gain soft skills that will help them throughout their education and beyond. Students build confidence, perseverance, and focus while learning to collaborate.
The Kennedy Middle School PTO funds all instruments and supplies for the Music Program and often pays for field trips and competition fees. Your contribution to the PTO makes our music program accessible to all and allows us to keep our instruments in tip-top shape! Thank you for your ongoing support and commitment to the Kennedy Middle School’s Music Program.
For more information, please see Mr. Balogh’s website.